If you recently graduated college or are feeling stuck in an unfulfilling position, chances are you are on the hunt for something new. If you are not sure where to start or are struggling with your current job search, consider a position that will help you develop a wide range of skills and benefit you in the long run! Below are 5 jobs that will help you develop skills, increase your experience, and hopefully get you on the path towards your dream career!
1. Research Assistant – Assisting an already established professional in their research can be a great way to acquire knowledge, make connections, gain life-changing mentors, and develop skills in your desired field. As a research assistant you can work in areas as diverse as anthropology, psychology, biology, medical, law, literature, computer science, and beyond.
2. Computer Systems Analyst – A computer systems analyst studies an organization’s current computer system and procedures to help them operate more efficiently and effectively, bringing business and information technology (IT) together. With the immense growth in information technologies, it’s no surprise that computer system analyst positions are projected to grow 22% by 2020! If you have a love for computers and technology, enjoy using code, have a niche for creating innovative computer tools and programs, an entry level analyst position in computer systems can give you hands on experience, applicable to a variety of computer science fields.
3. Social Media Manager – Every day, more and more organizations are realizing the value of social media and are hiring social media managers to increase brand awareness through social media sites. Social media managers perform a wide range of tasks including: engaging in dialogue with current and potential customers, monitoring social media trends, writing blog articles, scheduling content, and working closely with the company’s public relations, marketing, and sales departments. If you are interested in the field of marketing, public relations, and/or journalism, this could be a great start for you!
4. Legal Assistant – Legal assistants assist attorneys in preparing for trials and court proceedings, investigate facts of cases, and identify appropriate laws, judicial decisions, and legal articles for assigned cases. Many law firms don’t require a legal background in order to be hired as an assistant, but instead prefer experience in research and writing. Starting off as a legal assistant can qualify you for jobs in business and accounting, as well as administrative assistant roles in other career fields.
5. Marketing Coordinator – If you are interested in a career in marketing but still need experience, a marketing coordinator position could be a great start for you! This position will give you the opportunity to learn more about marketing strategies, website creation, event marketing, direct marketing, and social media management. Each company is different in their expectations of marketing coordinators, but most of these positions are typically involved in the marketing process from the ground up- another position that will help you develop applicable skills for your dream career!
While some of these positions might not be your dream job, you can leverage your experiences towards a better position in the future. If you still feel like you need a refresher in these career fields, we’re here to help! We offer online courses for each position that will only take 6 weeks to complete- an added bonus for your resume!